Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mother's Pan is Mine for the Coming Year

My brother with THE PAN



Yesterday I received an email from my brother asking why I had not posted about THE PAN yet.  My response was T. I. M. E.   Since returning to school after the holiday, I have been drowning in work.  Most evenings I didn't leave school until after 5:00 so when I arrived home I would quickly sink into a comfy chair and enjoy my dinner in front of the television. 

But today is the day to report on  the new decoration for THE PAN.  I introduced this pan and our Christmas tradition several weeks ago in a previous post titled Holiday Fun for Genealogists.  As we were all working in the kitchen preparing our traditional prime rib dinner, my brother started telling me that he had discovered some new photos from when we were young.  He would show them to me later, he said.  Later, as we sat around opening our gifts, his words came back to me when I opened a box that was so large it had to be THE PAN.  I carefully lifted it out.  The first thing I noticed was that it had been shined up and had something tall protruding from the pan. I followed it down into the pan and then noticed that it had an electrical cord coming out from a hole in the pan.  Oh, it was a light!  At this point I heard my brother say that now I would be keeping it on my desk for the coming year.  He made a fitted wooden insert to hold my pen,  pencils, markers and calculators.  The only thing missing is a place for family photos . . . . wait. . . a few photos are tucked into a slot at the back and afixed to the outside. The photos are familiar, but . . . something is not right.  I protest, "These have been Photoshopped I claim".  "I don't know what you mean, he replies in a syrupy voice.  Now I ask you, do you think these are original or has some 21st century digital sleight of hand been employed?

My mother sitting in an oversized chair soaking her feet in THE PAN
A terrible photo of my grandmother and me with THE PAN

My mother and Merle wearing THE PAN










I now have a year to plan.  Any suggestions, but remember my brother reads this blog??

10 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I'm sure we can come up with something creative....we have 12 months to plan! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tradition and what your brother did with it this year! Love his sense of humor with the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is the only picture of you holding the pan is from like 50 years ago??? Why can't we have a more up to date picture like you posted of your brother holding the pan and digging up graves?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the pan has taken on a whole life of it's own - love it :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A multi-use pan! I love the foot-soaking. How about a planter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hysterical.

    I love this.

    You do know that pan is gonna outlive both of you, don't you?

    And "The Legend of the Pan," will be simply timeless...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was laugh-out-loud funny. Your brother did a great job with the photos. Thanks for sending me to bed with this wonderful bit of humor. I'm sure you'll think of something great by next year. Please, please keep us up to date on what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom in the giant chair, with her feet in the giant pot, reminds me of Alice and Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine ever parting with this. As to your efforts for next year - my money's on you. It seems there's no limit to your collective creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that I can make a lid and we can use it as a place for her ashes. After all sister is a lot older than me I could have the last laugh . So you better eat healthy Ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete