Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Difficult Week

It has been an extremely difficult week for multiple reasons, and I just could not make myself write a single word.
 
But. . . in one week, I will leave, barring any more problems, for London, England with my teenage granddaughter.  While I am there I intend to take one day and travel by train an hour outside of London to the small village of Chipping Warden.












This is where the family of James Bush Allen lived before he emigrated from there to Canada with his older brother John in 1831 according to the book Elora by John Connon, the early history of Elora, Ontario.

 Saint Peter and Saint Paul church is still located in the town with a cemetery surrounding it.  I hope to find some ancestors buried there and am trying to get together the names and dates for as many as I can.  I have contacted the church warden and she has agreed to meet me at the church so I can see the inside.  From the photos already on Flickr, it should be a wonderful experience.  None of his would be possible without the generous help of my Canadian cousins, Kathy and Eileen who have shared 30 years worth of family research with me.  You can expect numerous photos of Chipping Warden when I return.

Now, I have packing and "getting ready" stuff to do.

7 comments:

  1. May all go well this week and during your journey. I love the idea of a cross-generational trip. Someday... Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to reading about your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margel,
    I've been having trouble leaving comments, but I'm going to try. I'm SO GLAD to hear that you are going to travel with your granddaughter. Maybe she'll get the genealogy bug -- even if it's 30 years from now. I'll be looking forward to your posts when you return. Stay safe. Kathy Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy-
    I have discovered that if I use my laptop, I never have difficulty posting, but if I use my desktop, it is only a 50/50 chance. Technology. . . built in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Margel,

    My name is John F. Cragan. I am a professor at the University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN. The late Mary Margaret McDonnell is the daughter of O.J. McDonnell (Clinton, IA). OJ is the older brother of my mother, Florence B. McDonnell. I have been gathering McDonnell material and have enjoyed reading your posts. My sister, June, is also following the blog. An old story: When I was young, Owen and John Connelly would come from Chicago & let me play with their police guns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My university email address is: jfcragan@stthomas.edu
    My personal email address is: jecragan@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margel, Have a safe and wonderful journey, I cant wait to read all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete