Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday


This is Anna McDonnell, known to every family member as "Auntie"  She never married and lived with her sister, my gr. grandmother, Mary McDonnell Kennelly, her entire adult life.  She worked as a stenographer for DJ Heagany Mfg. according to the 1923 city directory and 1930 census.  She helped raise her sister's children and  then her niece who said she never really appreciated Auntie untill she was a mother herself.  Auntie was a legend in the family.  I remember my mother cleaning for a week when Auntie came for a visit.  Auntie was not shy about giving her opinion.

 She is buried at Queen of Heaven cemetery in Chicago, but, sadly, she has no one from the family buried near her.  It wasn't supposed to be that way, but it happened. 

Auntie
Born 17 Feb 1879
Died 12 June 1961



1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My great-great uncle was DJ Heagany. I found your blog by searching Heagany. I have found some patents from the DJ Heagany company. I would love to know anything you may know about this company that your dear "auntie" work for. My email is ajheagany@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete