Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Slip Sliding Away. . . .





Time that slippery rascal . . . keeps racing past me. Where is the pause button for my life? I have planned and missed several intended blog posts. I didn't post for Father's Day, many Tombstone Tuesdays, the next installment in my novice family research trips, an update on the outcome of my Challenge #23, and many others that pop into my brain just as I am trying to turn it off for the night and sleep. I need to make better use of the "save as draft" feature and write during the short snippets of time I can get on the computer. I do have a laptop I could use, but it doesn't have my photos - something else I need to do. The photo below is the cemetery in Kilmurvey, Inishmore, Aran Islands, Ireland. I don't know of all that is necessary, but I wanted to be sure and give complete information! The gate stays locked and you enter by way of the short steps and the hole in the wall. My B&B, the Kilmurvey House, a historic home, is at the top. It rained almost continually during our one short day and overnight there, but we didn't let it stop us. However, the downside is that my photos are all gloomy looking, but our raincoats acted as sort of a color code so we can tell who is who in our photos from a distance. Every local resident kept telling us how the weather had been unusually bright and sunny the previous weeks, and that the island was in the middle of a drought. Water was being shipped in the next day.



Ireland was fabulous, but the only headstones I was able to photograph belonged to the family of someone else. It became a joke with my traveling companions that I wanted to stop at all the cemeteries. Conveniently, for me, many of the ruins/castles/abbeys had cemeteries surrounding them, and I always found myself wandering around reading and photographing ones I found interesting. A future post will feature some of those I found.



Then a day and a half after I returned from Ireland, my youngest son and daughter-in-law arrived for a visit from Seattle. I am enjoying their visit, and we are following the Tour de France daily. I told them they need an spreadsheet to keep track of their scheduled visits with friends and family. They agreed.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you're back! I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see those "gloomy" pictures!

    ReplyDelete